DR FAROUK ABDULLAH
Chief Data Scientist / Country Head of lloopp
Dr Farouk Abdullah is an analytics thought leader with over 15 years of first-hand experience of establishing analytics teams and delivering organisational transformation in large companies in the UK and South East Asia. Farouk has spent most of his working life in the UK where he led data and analytics teams in Corporate Banking, the energy sector, led the transformation of large media organisations and latterly as a Senior Manager in one of the Big 4 Consultancy Firms. Known as an industry thought leader and advisor to CEOs, he brings wide industry knowledge of analytics and data science coupled with commercial nous and senior management experience.
Some of Dr Farouk’s relevant experiences include:
• Led in the customer segmentation exercise for the UK energy market and the analytics transformation of a telco and media company
• Repeat call reduction: Led data mining, analytics and insights generation from existing customer behaviour. Recommended process and system changes to deliver a significant reduction in repeat call volumes of 1.2m calls annually equating to a savings of £4m.
• Delivered marketing analytics to a large UK based media company which resulted in a £9m savings of marketing cost.
• Led on M&A transactions and supported directors on larger transactions (>£1bn) in processing corporate, leverage buy-out, management buy-out and syndicated transactions in the telecommunications and media sector in the UK and across Western Europe.
• Established data and analytics team in a media organisation to deliver revenue growth and operational cost savings
1. Work experience:
• Bank of Scotland – Associate Director
• Scottish and Southern Energy – Analytics Manager
• British Sky Broadcasting – Head of Analytics
• Deloitte Digital – Senior Manager, Analytics Practice Lead for Telco & Media
• Astro (Malaysia) – VP Data & Analytics
• ADAX (MDEC) – Chief Data Scientist
• Natural Intelligence Solutions (lloopp.net) – Country Head / Chief Data Scientist
• CIO – Binfinite regional
2. Key projects delivered / achievements
• UK market segmentation for the energy and media market
• Establish data and analytics teams / functions including processes, best practices and governance (UK FTSE500 companies, Malaysia media company)
• Assess, document, develop roadmap and support organisational analytics transformations (UK newspaper company, Malaysia government bodies)
• Develop and deliver analytics projects from data to insights including machine learning applications (UK FTSE500 companies, Malaysia oil and gas company, Philippines energy company, Singapore travel industry)
3. Key talks, conferences, seminars and advisory positions
• Malaysian Institute of Accountants Conference (digital advisor)
• Human Resources Development Fund (PSMB) Conference
• Smart City & Future Commerce Convention
• The Fourth Leap conference and interview
• Petronas Internal Audit Team (transformation workshop)
• Petronas Wells Digital Conference
• CIO Asia Connect – Edinburgh, Scotland
• BURSA, Tenaga Nasional Berhad, TM, Petronas, Redtone, Umobile, Malaysia Airports, etc. – 2 day data science for executives workshops
• Astro Awani – TV interview (The state of Data Science in Malaysia)
• Talks in various companies – Nestle, CIMB, LHDN, MDEC, InvestKL, SME Bank, Next Asia 2018, Petronas, Proton, TM, Malaysia Airlines Berhad, Berjaya etc.
• Papers and articles – Digital Energy Journal, Liunkedin, Leaderonomics, Leap Magazine